Edgewater is a suburb a few miles southwest of Annapolis, set on the South River, forming the southern portion of Anne Arundel County. It’s a small community with a suburban feel, and provides easy access to downtown Annapolis where you can enjoy fine dining, shopping, culture and nightlife. It’s a happy medium for those who crave a laid-back lifestyle and a city atmosphere all in one.
There are numerous beaches to enjoy with areas for swimming, sand for sunning, and piers for crabbing. You’ll also find some great restaurants here like Old Stein Inn, Yellowfin, The Pier Oyster Bar & Grill and more.
Edgewater, MD History
Founded in 1683 by Colonel William Burges, Edgewater was originally named Londontowne. Once a thriving port community focused on Maryland’s tobacco export trade, it was considered to be the original site for the capital of Maryland. In the early 1930s, the community became a popular summer destination for residents of Annapolis, Baltimore and Washington, followed by a boom in construction during the late 1970s and early 1980s.
Things To Do In Edgewater, MD
- Historical London Town and Gardens – reveals the “lost” colonial town of London and shares a garden sanctuary on the South River.
- Smithsonian Environmental Research Center – SERC’s trails and dinghy dock are open to the public. Hike, bike, canoe or kayak the scenic trails or attend a public tour.
- Rent a boat for a day – several yacht charter companies take residence on the South River ready to take you on an adventure.
- AR Workshop Annapolis – a boutique DIY studio that offers hands-on classes for creating custom and charming home decor.
- The Golf Club at South River – private golf club where you can enjoy a world-class 18-hole course, private restaurant and member events.
Edgewater, MD Schools
Edgewater, MD is served by Anne Arundel County Public Schools. Some of the schools serving the Edgewater area include:
South River High
Center of Applied Technology-South
The Summit School
Saint Andrew’s Day School
London Towne Academy
Central Special School
Mayo Nursery School
Kid’s Farm Mayo
Little Puddle Jumpers